Los Angeles-Attorney General Edmund G. Brown Jr. today announced that his office has reached an agreement with Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc. to provide California Toyota owners with at-home pickup and vehicle return and cost-free alternative transportation while their recalled vehicles are being repaired.
"This agreement goes a long way towards easing the burden caused by Toyota's massive recall," Brown said. "It will now be much easier for Toyota owners to get to work and take their kids to school while critical safety repairs are made on their cars."
Under the terms of today's agreement, Toyota will provide owners of recalled vehicles the following services:
- Pick-up and return of vehicles by the dealership;
- Transportation to the dealership and/or to the owner's place of work;
- Alternative transportation, such as a rental car, loaner vehicle or taxi reimbursement for a reasonable period that the customer is unable or unwilling to use his or her car; and
- Expedited scheduling for repair services.
These services will be provided by Toyota through the dealers at no cost to either the owners or the dealer.
The following Toyota vehicle recalls are covered by today's agreement:
- September 29, 2009 for floormat entrapment;
- January 21, 2010 for sticking accelerator pedals;
- February 8, 2010 for anti-lock brake system issues; and
- February 12, 2010 for drive-shaft failure.
The following vehicles are involved in the recent Toyota and Lexus vehicle recalls: 2005-2010 Avalon, 2007-2010 Camry, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2007-2010 ES 350, 2008-2010 Highlander, 2006-2010 IS 250 and IS350, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2004-2009 Prius, 2010 Prius, 2009-2010 RAV4, 2008-2010 Sequoia, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2009-2010 VENZA, and 2010 HS 250h.
More information on the specific vehicles affected by the recalls can be found at www.nhtsa.dot.gov and www.toyota.com/recall.
Californians are encouraged to contact their local Toyota and Lexus dealers if they believe they are eligible for these accommodations. Consumers can also contact Toyota's customer service center at 1-800-331-4331 or Lexus at 1-800-255-3987.
This agreement will remain in place until all Toyota vehicles subject to the recall have been repaired. If additional safety recalls arise, an extension of this agreement or other appropriate provisions will be pursued.
Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc. is based in Torrance, CA.
A copy of Toyota's letter to Brown is attached.